Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My Bloody Valentine/Serena Maneesh/Galaxie 500/The Field




I'm leaving for Richmond, V.A. tomorrow morning to see My Bloody Valentine at the National at 8pm.  I've heard about 19 different stories about what to expect. I heard at a show in NYC a kid left the show with blood dripping from his ear lobes. One person told me ear plugs are legally required. One person said the show wasn't that loud at first and then it got to a point where her bones were shaking in her skin and all she could hear were beautiful waves of sound. She was able to make out the songs so I know it's not just pure noise. I'm half way nervous and half way excited. It sounds like it's going to be a swirling pink roller coaster ride of sound. I might piss my pants.

I wish I could see this show my friend Vanessa but she won't be able to make it. I have had a lot of fun times with her listening to M.B.V. though.   

Due to the show tomorrow, I'll make this a shoegaze blog.


Serena Maneesh, a noise, pop, rock, psychedelic, shoegaze collective from Oslo, Norway. I heard them about 3 years ago and was pretty impressed with the intense rhythm that other noise/shoegaze groups weren't doing at the time. At the time bands were more spaced out and cool sounding. These guys/girls aim to kill. I love them for it. No bull shit! I really don't like their look, but that's why you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. I use to play a remix of one of their songs a lot, the song, "Sapphire Eyes High". I still really like that song.  

They are the second photo from the top. Actually the photos go in order from top to bottom of the artist listed. 


Galaxie 500 are perhaps my favorite showgaze band of all time. Pretty much good to listen to all the time. Not too noisy, not too jammy, not too intense. More of a slow core/dream pop band. These guys/girl just wrote really great songs. They were a 3 piece from Cambridge, M.A. who meet at Harvard University. Galaxie started with the band traveling back between New York City and Boston for school and shows.

Their first release was in 1988 with the song "Tugboat" which was produced by Mark Kramer. 
The bands main influences were Jonathan Richman, the Velvet Underground and Spacemen 3. Their sound once described as Jonathan Richman being backed up by the Velvet Underground.

Little Sister, thanks for the Fourth Of July single for Christmas. It's one of my favorites.


The Field is the whole reason I started this blog, and he (Alex Willner) from Stockholm, Sweden might be mentioned a lot. His new album Yesterday and Today is a shoegaze tingled electronic album with hints of minimalism, techno, and other electronic sounds. 

This album he's even touring the U.S. with a live band. I would have loved to go to Miami to see him, but I had a final in school the same night. 

I believe the Field to best while on a long drive or reading in a comfortable place. 



No comments:

Post a Comment