Monday, November 15, 2010

Morgan Packard



The first thing I heard when I listened to the first track off the album Moment Again Elsewhere by Morgan Packard was the producer Jan Jelinik. I haven't thought about that name in a few years. Sitting here this morning though with a hot cup of tea and the light breeze of fall coming in from the window made this record sound perfect for my daily routine of music exploration.

I knew nothing about Morgan Packard until this morning but now I'm very glad I stumbled upon this minimal, organic, electronic composer. I also knew nothing of the Brooklyn-based label that he's on named Anticipate Recordings. The label, who is headed by fellow electronic, ambient, and experimental producer Ezekiel Honig has other minimal, electronic artists such as Klimek, and Mark Templeton. If you get a second, read their demo policy, it's really great. They won't sign you unless you only want to be on their label, and love their label and what they're about.

Moment Again Elsewhere also has hints of organic sound such as twinkling piano which is very reminiscent of Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians. There are other organic instruments on the record too such as saxophone and accordion. If you have not got from what's written above, this record is not for the club, but for the bedroom or home LP player. This is a dense listening experience, but it's worth your time.

Morgan Packard: "Unveil" mp3


This song has been in my head all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment