Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Les Sins (Toro Y Moi side project), Gil Scott-Heron remixed by Jamie XX, and John Talabot




Les Sins is the new side project from Chazwick Bundick of the chillwave act Toro Y Moi. This new project is more disco/house than his former material. I'm really digging this. I'm glad he got more into producing dance music. Toro Y Moi sounds good in the club and all but it's not really a way to get a party started. Toro Y Moi is meant for the very beginning of the party or on the drive back home. Either way, it's always good stuff.

Chazwick started off playing in a band called The Heist and the Accomplice in high school with some classmates in South Carolina of all places. It's hard to imagine this music coming from someone who grew up in South Carolina but I suppose Washed Out came from the same place.

The release of Les Sins was put out on Carpark Records (the same label as Beach House, Light Pollution and Dan Deacon) and is heavy on the Daft Punk. Not in a bad way though like all these new electro wannabes. This comes off a bit more legit. The guitar work, samples, bass and drums are all very Daft Punk influenced. It sounds like it would be fun to produce this and even more fun to play live.

From the Lina 12" on Carpark Records:
Les Sins: "Lina" mp3
Les Sins: "Youth Gone" mp3



Jamie XX is remixing the whole Gil Scott-Heron (soul, jazz, spoken word, funk, and proto-rap artist) record, I'm New Here. When I first heard about this project I was very interested in hearing what this would sound like. The first track I heard remixed was "NY is Killing Me". It's a chill dubstep track with excellent high pitched female samples and of course Gil Scott-Heron samples as well. I really love the soul feeling of the song. It makes the cold production of Jamie XX sparkle. I'm really looking forward to hearing the rest of this project.





In the past week I could not stop listening to Spanish disco/house producer John Talabot. I first heard his single "Sunshine" sometime last year and haven't been able to hear enough of his production since. He's done remixes for artists such as the xx, Delorean, We Are Stranded and Tahiti 80 and he's also done countless edits. All of which have a sunshine tingled, disco/house take on the above mentioned artists. I just downloaded (literally it's playing in my headphones right now) his Summerized mix. If this is what Barcelona (where he's from) sounds like, I missed out last time I was there (in 2007). Talabot is also on the Permanent Vacation label which is the same as label as Tensnake and Azari & iii. I always close with this, but I'm looking forward to see what this guy produces next.

Tahiti 80: "Darlin (John Talabot's Oscuro Baile Remix)" mp3 (via XLR8R)
John Talabot: "Matilda's Dream" mp3
John Talabot: "Sunshine" mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment