Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Del the Funky Homosapien, DJ Thomas and DJ Ernie for Grooveshark 1 Million User Party








In case you don't live in Gainesville, FL, last Tuesday Del the Funkyhomosapien played @ Sharab Lounge for the Grooveshark 1 million user party. I think that will go down as one of the best parties ever thrown in Gainesville and I'm so glad I was a part of it. 

The night started young for me, arrived at Sharab around 7:30 to do Ernie and I's sound check along with Del. Del wasn't there, but he's manager was, who was an incredibly nice guy. 

Ernie and I's set didn't start until around 10:30, with Del expected to play around midnight. I started the night off playing some UGK, Phaseone, Three Six, The Bug, Prefuse 73, Raekwon, and a few others. I wanted to start off playing some southern shit because the high hat GETS THE PARTY STARTED! Ernie's set was also hip-hop oriented, concentrating more on classic east coast songs. Either way, I think we both killed it. 

Bukue One, Del's manager, emcee, and skateboarder opened up for Del and hyped the crowd who were almost up to their eye balls with alcohol. His flow reminds me a lot of Del but he's a little less abstract. 

Del came on around 12:20 and as soon as he started the crowd went apeshit. The crowd sounded like fireworks on the 4th of July. This was all really overwhelming to me because I'm sitting behind the decks and helping do sound for Del an international known and much respected emcee/producer in Gainesville, FL in an intimate setting with a limited audience. I don't know what could top this. Playing with Tribe??? Whatever the case, Del put on a high energy show. I heard he was supposed to only play for twenty minutes but he ended up playing for 45 minutes. He performed tracks from Deltron, he's solo stuff and Gorillaz. He ended with "Clint Eastwood" which was awesome because even the mildest of Del fans would know that song. 

I'm posting a track with Tame One and Del. I really think this is some of the best Del production in a while. 



No comments:

Post a Comment