Monday, August 17, 2009

Lightning Bolt/HEALTH/Volcano Choir/Night Plane

Earthly Delights is the title of the new Lightning Bolt record which will be released on Load Records on October 13th. "Colossus" is the first track I've been able to download and it's a different Lightning Bolt than I knew before. Instead of instantly killing you with booms of lighting fast drums and the noisiest bass on the East coast, they start with a build up that lasts 3 and a half minutes until the track takes off into this swirling bass driven drum explosion. The song clocks in over 7 minutes which is a little shorter than "Dead Cowboy" off the Hypermagic Mountain full length. Skate or DIE!

Lighting Bolt: "Colossus" 

I met HEALTH the night before their first show with NIN in Orlando.  Some friends and I drove to Tallahassee to see them. The band that opened up wasn't very good so we went out for drinks before HEALTH played. When we returned, they had already started the first song. It was an explosion of rhythm and noise. I fell instantly in love. The people I came with and I were going apeshit in the front with a very non receptive crowd. 

Their set only lasted about 30 minutes, but it felt worth it to see something so explosive. I talked with the band after their set and bought a 7". I told them we were from Gainesville and about to leave. They asked to stay at my house due to all if us both going south and them having no place to stay. HEALTH followed us back to Gainesville as we jammed out to Minor Threat, the Misfits, Black Eyes, and Bad Brains to keep us awake on the 2 hour drive home. 

The new HEALTH album Get Color is a more mature side of HEALTH with no screaming and a lot more melodic melodies. Maybe they're trying to appeal to a larger crowd? I'm not sure. The music is still very exciting and grabs you because nothing else sounds like HEALTH right now. Still using lots of effects pedals and still heavily drum based. The vocals are still so low that they're just texture in the back ground. They remind me of like My Bloody Valentine. Why aren't there more dance noise bands? I'd love to see these guys with Black Dice. 



Volcano Choir is a new group with the signer of Bon Iver, Justin Vernon. The group consists of members of the group Collections of Colonies of Bees alongside Justin Vernon. The album will be released on Jagjaguwar Sept. 21st and is sounding to be a killer fall album.  This is the first song leaked off the album so far and it sounds a little like the Prefuse 73 Reads the Books E.P mixed with Justin Vernon on vocals. 




Night Plane. There's not to much to say about the track, "Chinese Shadows". I heard it on the 20 Jazz Funk Greats blog and fell in love. This is a NY disco/experimental producer and he's got the grooves. I like this track a lot and can't wait to hear more. The piano work reminds me of the Glass Candy cover of Kraftwerks' "Computer Love" but with vocals by a Trent Reznor or a J. Spacemen sounding guy. The drums remind me of a DFA produced track.


No comments:

Post a Comment