Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Knife/Nite Funk/Young Man/Gigi





I haven't written anything in a while, instead I've been watching 30 Rock and Jersey Shore. I don't get it, I talk shit about all the trash on television and then I watch the trashiest show on TV, Jersey Shore. Maybe I like it because I love sub-culture and I really know nothing about this sub-culture? I'm not sure. Anyhow, this is what's been good. 



All of you know who The Knife is. If you don't, WHAT FUCKING ROCK HAVE YOU BEEN HIDING UNDER? Everything this group does pushes the boundaries of sound and never looks back on the past, only the future. If you didn't hear either of their solo projects last year, you need to get on that shit. It's quality stuff. 


Either way, they're currently working on an opera. What the fuck? An opera? They're pretty ridiculous, but that makes them far more interesting. Riiiiight? The opera is a tribute to Charles Darwin and is called “Tomorrow, in a Year.” The work should reflect the text by Darwin from On the Origin of Species. The work will contain 3 singers. Each singer will be singing from a different background, electronic pop, classic opera, and performance. The Knife will be arranging the music and words to the opera. I've only heard one song from this but I am very excited to see what else comes out. Hopefully this is released on DVD. I'm sure visually this will be amazing. 

(top photo)


The Knife in collaboration with Mt. Sims and Planningtorock: "The Coloring of Pigeons" 



In case you guys haven't been following, Dam-Funk and Nite Jewel have collaborated on a great new track called "Am I Gonna Make It". It's a great mix of Nite Jewels lo-fi funky disco and Dam-Funk's futuristic funk. The recording was made for XLR8R's video podcast Tune in an Afternoon. Nite Jewel produces the track and Dam-Funk sings and adds his own input on the production. Make sure to watch the video. Watching the song come to life is half the charm. 

(second photo from the top)


Nite Funk: "Am I Gonna Make It"

Dam-Funk: "Mirrors" 

Nite Jewel: "What Did He Say"




Young Man is a new lo-fi, dream pop, bedroom artist. This style is very popular right now and seems to be making the blog lists all around. This guy is very reminiscent of Panda Bear and Atlas Sound to me but is still charming in its own way. Don't think I'm dying to hear this live but it's nice background music for my room or nice waking up to. I'll see how the full length comes out. It's due out early this year.


Young Man: "Five"

Young Man: "Playtime"



Gigi is a project of two men who love Phil Spector and the Wall of Sound. The group is based out of Vancouver and is the work of Nick Krogvich (songwriter) and Colin Stewart (producer). For those of you who love 60's pop production and harmonies, this should be your cup of tea. 


This record comes out Jan. 26th, 2010. The record also contains credits to groups such as Black Mountain, Cave Singers and Destroyer. In some way, this reminds me of a Martin Scorsese movie, mostly Mean Streets.

(third photo from the top)



Gigi: "No, More Heart Will Go"

Gigi: "I'm Not Coming Out Tonight" 

Gigi: "The Old Graveyard (Feat. Karl Blau)"



1 comment:

  1. first post in a while. It feels really. You might have problems listening to that last Gigi song. You're just going to have to download that shiiiii.

    ReplyDelete